The Steps to Start a New Timebank
Starting a TimeBank is a journey, one step after another. And like all great journeys, it calls for thought, planning, commitment, and solid preparation — but the reward for that effort will be huge. Together, you will have created a powerful new sense of community and lives transformed.
Gathering With A Purpose – An Action-Based Introduction to Timebanking for New Timebanks
Timebanking Start-Up, an Overview
For a broad overview of the start-up journey, check out both the video from Ioby below, and the “Seven Key Steps” steps listed below the video. We believe that you will gain even more from that powerful resources after you have taken part in hosting and presenting The Gathering.
Seven Key Steps
1. Beginning the journey:
- What’s your passion? — How will your TimeBank relate to that?
- Who will help and support you?
- Who do you see joining when it’s up and running?
- Who will you ask to join the start-up team?
2. Imagine the possibilities with your partner or team:
- Learn more about TimeBanking — use this website, and YouTube has a mass of timebank videos
- Contact existing TimeBanks through the TBUSA online directory, Facebook, etc.
- Consult TBUSA how-to materials.
- Brainstorm with friends and supporters — Share the ideas and get feedback.
- Enjoy the dreaming! (This is a really important process.)
- Do additional Gathering With A Purpose workshops &gain more experience of doing timebanking — it will be a huge help as you get into planning mode with your group of champions in the next step.
3. Create a “make it happen” group of champions:
- Get buy-in from those who will help your TimeBank succeed.
- Determine who will take on needed roles.
- Create an action plan for first steps, including outreach for TB members.
- Plan out possible costs and income sources (however small).
- Write up policies and procedures (can be informal).
- Learn what on-line software can do for you – Community Weaver Demo site.
- Plan your use of traditional or online social media.
- Decide when you’re ready for real time.
4. You’re in real time now. Make it happen:
- Get access to a TimeBank software, and prepare it for your new TimeBank. To learn more about Community Weaver the online TimeBank software and to request that we set it up for your TimeBank, please click here.
- Create a flyer or brochure for members.
- Start the outreach (go to local meetings, knock on doors, talk to friends, neighbors — all of that).
Prepare a members’ handbook and orientation materials.
- Here is a Member Orientation Training Guide on how to run an orientation based on the Arroyo S.E.C.O Network of Time Bank‘s guide.
- You could make a web site and/or make a social media page of your choice.
- Set up your traditional and/or online social media.
- Send out invitations to your first gathering.
- Make sure that the finances and admin are sorted out and will be taken care of.
- Perhaps start a newsletter.
5. Go public, hold your first meetings:
- Start with a TimeBank launch event, hand out information, flyers, newsletters.
- Sign up your first new members.
- Hold an orientation for new members.
- Are you good to go with handling the money and admin?
- Begin exchanging at the orientations and other events.
6. As it begins:
- Help members set up offers and requests.
- Set up/celebrate the first exchanges.
- Hold regular orientations for new members.
- Plan for regular events for members (potlucks, group exchanges.)
- Seek out opportunities for targeted group activities.
- Watch that you’re TimeBank is good with handling the money and admin.
- Celebrate as you go.
7. Keep Going and Growing:
- Keep true to the core values: Assets, Redefining work, Reciprocity, Community, Respect.
- Keep those core values ever in mind — we can’t stress this enough.
- Find, nurture and support your champions inside and out.
- Strive for your TimeBank to be leaderful, and truly owned by its members.
- Take care of the money and admin. (Yes, it will always be there…..)
- Remember that your TimeBank will become a source of hope, comfort and community in this challenging day and age.
So there you have it! It’s a lot of work. Start where you are. Look for others who will join you on this journey. Build a team to spread the work load and to envision the future together.
Reach out to us at TimeBanksUSA with any questions.
We’re more than happy to help.